Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Smooth Jazz and Rough Politics

Kenny G, a smooth jazz saxophonist, caused some conflict when he visited a pro-democracy protest in Hong Kong last week. Kenny G. is hugely popular in China and his song "Going Home" has actually become an anthem that is played to signal that it is time to, well, go home.  Sometimes the song even plays on a loop around closing time until people get the idea and leave.
On a recent tour of China Kenny G. tweeted a photo of himself at a pro-democracy protest in Hong Kong.
www.dailymail.co.uk

According to The Guardian
Within hours of his tweet, the Chinese foreign ministry had issued a frosty condemnation of his display of solidarity. "Kenny G's musical works are widely popular in China, but China's position on the illegal Occupy Central activities in Hong Kong is very clear," ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying told a news briefing, according to Reuters. "We hope that foreign governments and individuals speak and act cautiously and not support the Occupy Central and other illegal activities in any form," she added.
 Kenny G immediately took to Twitter to defend himself. Over a series of tweets throughout the day he stated:
I was not trying to defy government orders with my last post. I was in Hong Kong as a stop on my way to perform at Mission Hills and happened to walk by the protest area as I was walking around Honk Kong as a tourist. Some fans took my picture. It's unfair that I am being used by anyone to say that I am showing support for the demonstrators. I am not supporting the demonstrators. I don't really know anything about the situation and my impromptu visit to the site was just part of an innocent walk around Hong Kong. I love Hong Kong and always come here to perform when I'm asked to. I love China and love coming here to perform for over 25 years. I only wanted to share my wish for peace for Hong Kong and for all of China as I feel close to and care about China very much.
Me think the man doth protest too much but he clearly wants to protect his image in China which continues to be his biggest market worldwide. 

No comments:

Post a Comment